A good oral care routine is insurance against harmful smile problems. At Advanced Family Dentistry in Parsippany, NJ, Dr. Marco Fernandez encourages patients in disciplined hygiene habits at home, and of course, he and his staff want to see you semi-annually for a cleaning and check-up. Together, you'll keep your smile bright.
Why oral hygiene is so critical
Your mouth teems with bacteria. Strep microbes live on your teeth and gums, and when they give off their damaging acids, teeth decay, and gums develop periodontitis. So, it benefits you to keep after sticky plaque and hard tartar where bacteria hide and thrive.
What to do every day
You know you must brush and floss. But, do you really know the proper technique? Here are some tips, and remember, practice really does make perfect.
1. Brush twice a day with a soft brush and fluoride toothpaste. Get a new toothbrush when the bristles wear down or look splayed.
2. Be gentle when you brush. Stick with it for two minutes, but don't scrub or scrape. Easy does it on both teeth and gums to avoid excessive wear and tear.
3. Plaque and tartar accumulate between your teeth. So, floss meticulously. Take your time, and don't dig, snap your floss or saw at your gum tissue.
4. Watch for blood when your brush and floss. You may be too aggressive. However, bleeding may indicate early gum disease, or gingivitis.
5. Never reuse floss. Always take a clean strand, wind it around the index fingers of your right and left hands, and slip it in between your teeth. Gently move the floss up and down.
6. Examine your tongue, teeth and gums for signs of wear, unusual spots or bleeding. If you have lingering tooth sensitivity or pain in any amount, report it to Dr. Fernandez.
7. Drink several glasses of water daily to increase saliva, freshen your breath and rinse away food particles.
8. Limit carbohydrates, and choose high-fiber, high-calcium and high-protein food choices.
We will help you
At Advanced Family Dentistry in Parsippany, we prioritize preventive care, providing exams, cleanings, digital X-rays, sealants, fluoride treatments and more. These services complement your good oral care routine at home.